Sunday, July 31, 2016

wknd away.................

I didn't mean to make it sound like I was blaming anyone for the person I am today. I kind of just meant to discuss factors in my life that had an impact on the personality I've come to have , and I like to think about why I tend to act one way or another or think one way or another.  I should be cautious in not taking responsibility for my thoughts and actions versus rationalizing it as the fault or result caused by someone else.   Thank goodness for the differences in all people whether they were a 4th kid, a second son, had a quiet mom or quiet dad, an overbearing parent or un-involved parent. Parents that learn along the way, parents that put kids first, or parents that put themselves first, parents getting it just right etc..
anyway, I like to reflect on me at 10 years ago, 20 years ago, etc and think back to why I reacted this way or that and how I can be better today. no harm. I appreciate the thoughts and encouragement shared by a few readers last post.
This weekend I'm in AR. I drove up here and back for an overnight visit last week, but this week I came up Friday  and plan to return to OKC Monday.  I'm glad for the summer rains happening so that i don't have to worry too much about my yard.  the neighbor kid is watering my planters while gone.
I'm staying with my married friends J and S where I always used to stay over, instead of with the ex T.  I used to blog from the room of one of theirs sons' rooms or twin bed etc.  now I'm downstairs in the room next to the entry way.  a sort of greeting room or study.  what way nicer this time is that we brought down from the younger kid's bunkbed a twin mattress and support mattress, so having both to sleep on has been wonderful and comfy down here.   their older son is going to college this fall at our alma mater, so I've been chatting him up all weekend about college and our past college times etc. I'm pretty excited for him, although he only gets two years on campus and in the dorms.  His mom became a realtor a year ago and has saved up from sales his first year's tuition and now they are concerned if she can keep it up to save up for the second year (24,000 a year costs).  She been doing really good business getting referral after referral but they sort of dried up this summer.  It must be quite a task worrying about college costs and what the future brings in the sense of college bills, loans, or income that gets that kid through.
I went onto PBTeen and orderd a set of sheets for the kid who I've known since the day his mom walked out of the house i was staying in here in town one summer. she was crying holding her pregnancy test strip because she was pregnant.  Husband J was out golfing and as a male college kid I didn't know what to say to a crying girl, ha, I got her bf Becky on the phone pronto.  The reason she was crying is fear of her mother.  As a type 1 diabetic she wasn't supposed to ever have a child.  She was so scared about her mom's reaction, of course happy too but worried about her mom and then the whole pregnancy, which went fine btw, other than her being in the hospital for 3 weeks before the birth.  Anyway, so I love their kids of course having none of my own and coming and staying with them here over the years, plus whenever they come to visit her folks in okc.
I plan to get the son a travel bag from Topodesigns also as a gift, but dont' have the extra $$$ just yet to put towards that, so for now it's a sheet set for college. :)
I had a great time Friday driving up at my own pace, lingering in okc a bit an stopping at a B&N bookstore and splurging on a garden magazine. stopped of in TUlsa for some fast food lunch and gassed up. onward to AR and stopped in the cafe downtown for a large ice tea, then over to T's to watch her tv and relax while she was busy baking 90 shortcakes for an event she catered this weekend. (I was watching Manor House witch I haven't seen since it was on PBS years ago, very cool to rewarch after the whole downton abbey has happened. Also it's a reality show before they became so formulaic and drame driven, more so real, while I'm at it, that's what I love about the great British Bake Off show, no drama just the facts of competitive baking! :P).
Saturday I did nothing, hung out here with J and S and their younger kid while the soon to be college boy slept in upstairs all morning. I worked online getting some grading finished up in the mythology class from online this summer. We went to lunch at my favorite lunch spot in town and talked more about college days with J and the two boys. S stayed at home cuz it takes her 2 hours to get ready to do anything. ha
last night I had dinner with best Jf and his wife and 3 kids, then the two of us went downtown for some desert and to chit chat more all about the town, work, politics, etc etc... I ran into some college buds I know in town. always fun to run into somebody when I get back to this town. ha
today is church and then a potluck and then I'm going out to see someone I don't usually visit in town, and next T and I plan to go visit Crystal Bridges or maybe Bella Vista or I dunno just drive around and getaway and do whatever. I love having some time off no worries before summer end Aug 8th teacher report back for week of training and prep. students come the 15th whew!
summer has gone by pretty quick, I plan to wrap up my summer projects next week, the roofline in the back of the house which I'll document in photos most likely and then some bermuda I need to tear out of the front bed and line it properly and add a path from the street blah blah. can't wait, I really do love a project but if I dont'; have a full day or two off to get into a zone I lose focus.
summer onward all..........

1 comment:

Dwight Williamson said...

Send in the fall, there's got to be fall , well maybe next yearl lol!