Sunday, December 27, 2015

end of the year...............

boy, what a holiday! Did everyone survive the whole family get together business?  My family gets together between 3 and 5 pm at my folks' place for a dinner of casual sandwich with lunch meat and snacks and treats etc buffet, with just a few tables set up and others just sit where they'd like in the sunroom or tv room...... it was a great time.  Christmas Eve night I stayed home watching "It's a Wonderful Life" and crying a little as usual. ha
and then Christmas day I slept in so late, so cloudy and dark every morning... ahhhh, got up and piddled around, put on comfy clothes for the day and some music on. I was on the computer for a while and around 11 decided I'd better start making the cookies I said I'd bring to dinner.  made those and had lunch and wrapped some gifts. then gathered a few things to bring over with me and left for my parents' place by 3pm... (I made gingerbread whooppie pies! yummy).
When I got over there, I helped mom and dad roll out wrapping paper and tape it onto the tables (as a table cloth) then set out items in the kitchen according to my mom's planned diagram for everything. little by little the family started showing up by 5:30 about all were there, dad was saying a prayer and all 27 of us began to line up and dig in. :)  got to visit with some of my niece and nephews. One niece had her boyfriend there for the first time who I'd taught with many years ago at the school I worked at before leaving overseas.  Talked about the Star Wars movie to those who've seen it, talked about everything else, and some people not much at all, as is the way with large family gatherings.  I helped clean up after gifts and as people left around 9pm I stayed to rest with mom and dad and discuss the kerfuffle that happened between my sisters and nieces ( My sister wanted a photo of my parents with all 10 great grandkids, and my niece with the 3 wk newborn commented on "how is that going to work?" because she and her husband are germaphobes and my mom unfortunately mentioned having a cough a few days before. My sister unfortunately made a comment about that being "weird" but also saying just kidding (she's known my niece's husband since he was a kid from church with her boys) but anyway my niece apparently got really offended sort of sticking up for her husband.  Well my dad held the baby and they all took the pic, but right after my niece, husband, and two kids were in the car and gone! and then my other niece, her sister, followed also taking offense in support. and then their mom, my other sister, agreed it was kind of rude, which then my super sensitive sister got quiet and felt down and quietly began cleaning up the kitchen blah blah. anyway, so eventually when everyone left, I got the whole story from my mom since I was oblivious to the whole thing. ha I agreed that yes my sister could have been more careful with words, but that also my niece could have been a little less indulgent in their ocd germaphobe ways, or if taken offense, suck it up and write a letter later etc without just up and leaving. but I dont' really care, I had a great time. :P)
I remember clearly realizing I would never go with friend Am to NYC again when twice I recall her saying something like "that's weird" after I'd said something or pointed out something or shopped for something in New York, something obviously wonderful and fabulous and creative, but to her "weird". no thank you! ( she emailed a nice Merry Christmas email including that she was looking forward to NYC 2016. ha! nope I'll put a brakes on that one!!).
well yesterday Saturday was a late morning sleeping in again. super chill all morning, I think I had on Lifetime movies in the background as I cleaned up the kitchen from the day before. laundry, trying to clean up the place more than I mess it up.... I had been contacted a week before via email from a reader of the blog, Dv,  who lived out east and was going to be in OKC for the holidays and wished to meet.  Well Saturday was our agreed free time.  he had emailed that he had plans before lunch and then would be free. Then my power went out for a couple hours around 10:45am... hmmm grey quiet morning....I began to deconstruct the tree and sort out of Christmas ornaments I had in large vases with battery string lighting.  I got dressed in real clothes and while waiting to see if power would come on, I wondered how would I communicate back with Dv about when and where we could meet up. luckily lights came back on around 1pm so I checked email and saw he was in the city and had given me his text number.  I texted that I was going for pizza and to either join me or meet afterwards.. heard nothing back after about 20 minutes so I went for Pizza with a New Yorker and Outside magazine in hand. came back after 2 and checked my phone again (I dont' get a cellular signal on my phone so I rely on wireless at home or work). He was in my area and we agreed to meet at the Barnes and Noble on my side of the city.
Well we pretty much talked nonstop for a couple hours. it was awesome. a really great guy, great looking and in shape, sexy beard.  I tried not to over talk like I am prone to do and give some wait time and listen and ask questions. but it came naturally.  The thing is when someone has already my story here, where I sort of put it all out there, I figure I need to ask him some questions to get his side of the story. ha  He had an impressive one, living out west, then out east in CT and now MD. He seemed to know NYC very well and we compared experiences. we agreed with my perception of how sometimes at a bar , why can't I just meet someone for a little make out and some heavy petting and call it a night?! ha ha that cracked us up.  we could both relate to being raised in a church and dealing with dating not women but possibly men etc etc. familiar story I'm sure! :P  we were both smiling and laughing so that's a plus. I may have mentioned before I can make a terrible first impression and sometimes I walk away feeling like an idiot, but yesterday I left feeling like I'd made a new friend. We hadn't realized the time and he had to get back to his folks' place for dinner. I look forward to seeing him next time in OKC for sure.
Dv was so nicely dressed in a great plaid shirt and jeans, black jacket, black soft looking beard. I'd worn a new plaid flannelshirt sort of dark blue and burnt orange, with some doc marten boots and jeans and a navy puffy vest. Good thing since I got a text from buddy Sc saying to come over so we could all go to dinner. The book store was just a mile south of his place and since I was already dressed up, I went on over. sat with his bf and kid while we waited for my buddy Sc' brother to drop by. he was coming by on the way up from houston to get some hunting gear.  The idea was that he'd get it and leave so we could all go to dinner, but somehow he ended up coming along with us. Ha now that was weird because Scott is not out to his family and none of us are really sure who he think the bf is or what about the fabulous Christmas tree and decorations all over the house. ha ha. plus we met two of our gay friend J and his friend at dinner. very very interesting time. But I will say his brother is super cool and as kind and nice and well raised as my buddy S.  Surely my bud's family has the idea, right? I mean come on, but it's still strange when it's not right out there.  I still get suggestions from my family about finding a wife, I mean come on REALLY?!? ha ha
that reminds me, I took some cake over to my friend B's house Thursday and while we were eating it and sitting at the kitchen table she asked me "I know it's none of my business but how come a girl hasn't snatched you up?" ha ha. she's so sweet.  She was cracking me up with a story about how her husband had cheated on her once and how this many years later that same woman's daughter move in two house down a few years ago.  She was just like "of all the places in the world!" ha ha and how she's seen that lady come and go a few times while outside in the yard. can you imagine at 87 having to deal with all that still? oh man, later we were looking at an old album sitting in the back room, and she showed me one photo of her back from the 70's where she had a big smile. she said" that's a photo I had especially made for [husband] to put on his desk at work".. "that's how you fight!" she said. awe!
today church was cancelled, sleet and rain and freezing cold temps. I just stayed in all day long. I've been watching some of Chef's Table episodes on Netflix. and deconstructing my Christmas tree. I get a kick out of having all evidence gone and while I''m at it, I'll switch out a rug and a few things on the wall. leftover lasagna for dinner tonight. yum! and maybe some more netflix movies. Enjoy the weekend all!

No comments: