Monday, December 07, 2015

end is nigh.........

last week of classes, I made it!! woot woot!!! I have three classes of final assignments to get graded and into computer, catch up on some late things turned in and the week will wrap up nicely...looking forward to getting out of town to NYC on Friday morning. I have my credit card back down to zero and got paid just last Friday, I still have $500 in my truck stuck in a Missouri map from all my moving jobs, so I plan to use that as some mad money while there.
Something interesting, I found out about an English Professor job opening at the Christian college very near to where I live and go to church.  The qualification are having a PHD which I DO NOT! However, I've told myself I'm going to apply anyway just to see if they would even interview me and just to have my name in the hat. can't hurt just to keep me fresh on interviewing (which I am not great at!! ha) and also just to see what it pays etc or if it would inspire me to pursue a doctorate or not. I'm actually very happy where I am and could teach 10 plus more years until retirement....but doesn't hurt when there is a job offer that pays more and is closer..
I also was contacted today by my former roommate that I taught with and shared a barracks with in Kabbuul in 2008. He is getting a 3 year contract together for an Eng. lnguage school in Saudi.  I told him I already had a great steady job, but I would put the word out where I work etc... so we'll see. The cool thing is that as a 3 year contract, there is the chance I could fill in during the summer for somebody at some point if needed and yeah, I'd HOP ON THAT definitely. Ha
btw, I got my haircut last week, Thursday night, went back to the guy Hector from last time. we decided I didn't want the shaved sides, and since I'd shaved off my beard for the last week of school and the trip coming up, I asked for jsut a clean tight cut.  He was super friendly and talkative and we caught up from when I saw him last time, he kept asking about my friend A that I'm taking the trip with and then we talked about something else I dunno but eventually it got down to him asking me if I dated men or women. ha ha!! so funny.... it was about the time of after the cut, and I found myself leaning back into the sink getting my hair washed and all  I think he was asking why I was single or had been single so long.....and I pretty much just blatantly said well for insecurity reasons I've never dated women (I dont' know what that was supposed to mean ha) and for religious reasons I've never dated guys either, and then explained that I've attempted to live a life that would have me labeled for my faith not for being gay or straight and that's what I've pretty much been up to for many years, and single.  he started talking about what guys he knew and what type of guys did I like!! ha ha. so funny, anyway when I got home he had friended me on a social network so it's good to know we can develop a friendly relationship. he had a bf btw for 3 years living together etc.. he's a super cool guy and great barber/stylist also!
well I"m going to get back to papers and if I'm lucky maybe do some Christmas cards tonight? I doubt it though, at 9pm a holiday baking show comes on.  Anyone else watch the cheesy cornball Lifetime movies this time of year? I love them, they are funny and safe and easy to watch, the acting and writing can be SO BAD!!!!! but it's all underscored with this easy listening soundtrack music. last year they involved the son or daughter of Santa falling in love. and this year they all seem to be a single mother or father falling in love at Christmas, although last night there was one with the Ranch hand of Santa falling in love with....a single mom of course. ha!  I know I'm the wrong audience because all the commercials are for mattresses, cat products, gift chocolates, or women products like painful intercourse?!?!, but alas, I have a sentimental heart and will continue to watch them! :P
guys, give me some new ideas for NYC!!! any new stores? euro brand names? interesting sites? what is a good Italian restaurant that's not to fancy, A has requested such.  I plan to hit a Pop Up Flea that open up this Friday west of Union Square, that should be something! :)  I'm thinking maybe SOHO shopping or Central Park on Saturday, we're hitting Rockefeller Center and Today show Saturday morning, Sunday morning tickets for 9/11 museum and Wicked Sunday night. everyone have a great week . Enjoy the season! :)

2 comments:

Mike said...

Definitely get your name out there and apply for that job. I was offered a job at a school about 30 miles away on Saturday without even interviewing or meeting the principal - this guy I know thinks so highly of me... lol. It would be 80% Spanish and 20% admin duties (mainly attending all the sports games until 10pm at night or so). It is one way to draw admin pay without all the extra duties. It would mean a position that I Have to work harder in given that I would be creating my entire Spanish curriculum as I go.

THat's cool about the hair stylist.

As for NYC
http://beekman1802.com/holiday-pop/ - you probably have seen them on TV they have a reality show and a couple books out

Fish Eddy's and the ABC Furniture are a couple of my favorite must visits

http://ny.racked.com/2015/11/25/9792056/holiday-markets-nyc-pop-up-2015
Creeds Collective looks interesting
Urban Zen had amazing skin care products last year and made me a believer in Argan Oil
Oh, and THe Tie Bar is a place I have always wanted to visit to get cool ties to wear to work

Anonymous said...

Danno,a few suggestions--

For Italian food in the city, you can't go wrong with Forlini's at 93 Baxter St. in Little Italy. Very old school, but perfect. Check out Yelp comments.
--Go open a home equity credit line with a bank tomorrow. You should never ever pay credit card interest rates unless that is your last option and you plan to die before the payment is due. You should be able to find a home equity line of credit with first year rates around 2% and prime plus a point or two thereafter.
--Finally, though "that" is sometimes used as a relative pronoun when referring to a person, "who" is strongly preferred, so much so that "that" would be counted wrong on the SAT or ACT if "who" was a choice. I only mention this because you seem to continually use "that."