Monday, May 18, 2015

ready to get outta here..............

back from the gym, sitting here just wondering what I should bring to Denver tomorrow. it's highs of 61 and lows of 45. so I get to get by sweaters and long sleeves back out and plan some outfits with jackets etc. ha.  all heck is breaking loose around here since I'm off my normal routine. that's what happens during transition time for me every year. I did buy my usual 12 packet of chicken tenders to cook up and eat during the week, so I'll be eating cashews for dinner and then a few cookies. I'm making chocolate chip cookies for the road trip.  I love eating the dough too while I'm making them. yum! adulthood, so great. I've got it down to a certain way I like 'em.  I divide up the sugar asked for into equal parts dark brown, white, and coconut palm sugar (yum that's what gives an extra crunch when eating the cookie dough). I skimp a little bit on the baking soda and throw in a bit of baking powder. for chocolate chips I mix a bunch of different ones: Nestle semisweet, Nestle milk chocolate, Nestle butterscotch (just a little handful), Ghiredelli semisweet, Ghiradelli 60% cacao (yum!), Hershey special dark, and some new organic thing Pascha 55% cacao.  I've had the 386 Whole foods brand dark chocolate chunks in there before too but I'm all out tonight.  I call them mystery chip cookies. 
Today was a my last required day at work, classes were over last Friday, but there was a required luncheon today and then the planning committee I'm on met 2-3:30....we're getting closer to finishing up the new course, but we meet again next Wednesday for 4 hours, and then we'll be presenting and training the faculty etc etc this summer next fall. but at least I get paid for every meeting and session. woo hoo!  this year I learned that i can't do everything, teach 5 classes, teach one online class, work in advising, participate in committees, swim every morning, swim every afternoon and workout, move furniture after work, etc etc... I grew up a people pleaser and someone who couldn't say no. I have learned to say no. It feels good because I know I'll be doing a better job at the things I'm doing by not doing too much. I'm not applying to work in advising next fall, and I won't be joining any committees other than those assigned by my boss.  the advising work pays pretty well, but ya know what, it's not jsut about making all the money you can. whew!  
I have already decided to take some extra classes next summer though. they have this thing called intercession classes during winter break and May and I think August. so I plan to take one on next May, maybe August next summer in hopes to save the extra cash for a trip. I invited a friend of mine to Europe and I hope we can go in a few years.  He is an artist I roomed with in college, has a great family wife/kids. he quit his job years ago to paint full time and has really been building up a good following, was published in Plein Air magazine and then Southwest Art. I've always been supportive and I thought, man if I could get him to a place like Paris or Barcelona and just let him get out and find places and scenes to paint! anyway, he may be up for it, I offered to pay for the trip. so I'm going to see if I can make it work, and yes we are TOTALLY  just great friends. btw.
You may know by now I'm quite an anglophile and I started binge watching "Merlin" on Netflix a few weekends ago. 6 seasons to go woo hoo! although it's very contrived and written episode to episode, I like it. ha except I took a break and bingewatched something else last weekend, the entire first season of "American in Sweden."  I didn't even realize it was on NBC but apparently it's a huge hit in Sweden, ha.  It's created by Amy Poehler's brother who actually moved to Sweden 2 years ago to live with his wife and started a family, and came up with the idea of a show about all the culture clashes he experienced.  Well it's a good enough show, i was on board up until the last episode of season one which was way too slapstick.  And indeed it's a little frustrating with the sort of character that keeps doing everything naively wrong, i get tired of those characters like on "the Office". but still very funny and in Sweden. It's alwasy been a dream of mine to live in a nordic country and experience everything different. I enjoyed it except the only free episodes were on NBC streaming with about 5 commercials at 4 different break points. UGH!!!! ha.
So while I was sitting here munching down on cashews and typing, I noticed a dog jump up on the AC unit outside the window by me. the neighbor's dog... oh brother.... so I just came in from shooing it out of my back yard, and then over to the other side of my neighbor's house to open the gate to let it back in, but it's a shy dog and won't come near me, so I had to sort of call it and then walk across the street farther away.. and then the dog sort of sat on the porch, then went back to my yard (trying to get back in under the fence where it got out), and then back to the front yard as I called it.  well finally it walked past the front door and noticed the open gate and ran back into the backyard...blah.
I'm about to mow the lawn and then vacuum while I get cookies in the oven. then finish packing for the trip. I'm bringing a small ice cooler in the cab of my truck to put some food in and a few bottles of wine to share with our friends in Denver.  I also want to clean up the truck and make extra sure everything's ready for the road trip. I'm hoping to have time to take the truck in for an oil change tomorrow morning. let the summer vacations begin!! cheers for reading if you've gotten this far.......:)

No comments: