Monday, January 20, 2014

back to work....

back to school tomorrow. looking forward to it. I'm going to bypass the morning swim and just get up early and shave and try to get off to work early enough to get in the classroom and welcome everyone etc etc... also I need to turn in something early to be printed by Thursday. Also I need to get down to the main office and make a few copy of some thing. I have the students do a syllabus scavenger hunt on a worksheet where I put a bunch of questions about stuff in the syllabus. so I'll have them do that and then I'm make my main points. and then they will write an in class essay to give me a sample of their writing etc...
It's always fun to see who I end up with and what kind of variety and mix of students I end up with.  There are ALWAYS a few students who never come back, they jsut show up once or twice and then never come back. I don't know how financial aid works but it's some sort of scam where they get the aid and then never come back.... This is only one or two students in a class.  Sometimes there are those with the very best of intentions and they still drop out the first week. There is one week given before you can drop with a refund.
I've had a GREAT long weekend... so lazy today!! it was a great day off. Last Friday I met up with buddy S and picked him up at his place. saw his house all set up and re arranged to show to sell. then we drove around Nichols Hills a bit looking at houses and properties, then to the Iguana Grill over on north Western. It's a nice little place in a shopping center there. We were going to get pizza at Hideaway pizza as usual, but since I had pizza for lunch I asked to go there instead. Man , we love their mini taco's. yum!!! and the chips and cheese! also there are always interesting people, and everytime we go, S sees some gay guy he knows or we notice some gay couple there we don't know etc.. ha
Saturday I volunteered on campus with giving tours to students of their new classes. and then Saturday night I took a Spanish Prof friend from work whose office is next to mine for a movie downtown. First we ate at the Museum Cafe downtown.  Long time readers may remember I used to go there every Saturday after the gym, and I'd always get the Tilapia. YUM!!! they still have it, although more expensive on the dinner. boy was it good! i ate good this weekend. ha Next we went and watched "Russian Ark".
Sunday was church and sunday school, then after lunch drove over to my friend Ab's house, the girl I move furniture with that I've known since Middle School.  visited with her and her pregnant wife. they are getting really excited for the baby to come in a few more months.and then today I just woke up and didn't do much of anything and had nothing planned. other than going to gym to swim laps before lunch and then going to the store to buy groceries....Tonight I jsut watched a documentary on PBS called "Blood Brothers" about an orphanage in India. It was heartbreaking!! but very very good overall.

2 comments:

Fat Dan said...

Your going on and on about the swimming has inspired me to get back into swimming, too. Haven't done it in ages and look forward to it.

Mike said...

Glad to hear you are doing well!!! You're certainly busy!!!