Saturday, August 10, 2013

wknd wonder........

had a great start to the new job! I have not been home the last two Saturdays so I am really enjoying this weekend. did NOTHING much this morning and then am about to get outside and play in the yard and then over to see my mom before lunch. she had her knee worked on last week. anyway, it was really rough getting back to the gym Wednesday. whew! I think I got in one swim and workout in the last two weeks between trips, so I was feeling like putty and trying to get in the swing of things back to swimming laps twice a day. I have a trip to Austin coming up in two weeks so I'm going to try to keep it up cada dia! each day until then.
We had new faculty training all week about how we were chosen to do the job, and the whole philosophy of the college, and strategies in retaining students, and how we have challenges in getting them ready for the world or  other universities etc etc.. it went really well. long long long days! ha as a teacher last year we went in at 730 and school was over by 230, but last week it was 8:30-5pm with us in meetings or working lunches all day. but we were a group of 13 new hires and were able to/ and supposed to bond with the group which we'll be meeting with every month this year for more updates and checkups etc. lots of great people.
there was this one lady who is a "doctor" and she had so many questions and comments which I'm pretty patient with, but it started getting on my nerves how she'd start talking and then within a few seconds take off her glasses with both hands and then shake her hair back a bit as she continued talking as if on a really serious level. anyway, that got on my nerves, but I'm not very good in meetings usually unless they are moving and keeping me interested, I get distracted easily I guess you could say... as long as I have something to doodle on or take notes on, I'm okay.  my doodles are usually lines and circles that get colored in or crisscrossed or made into some sort of pattern etc..
I have an office! it's pretty nice enough size wise... I plan to bring up a rug to hang on the wall and a few Eames office chairs I have here at home, and then I'll start looking for a small table. I also plan to do something interesting with the wall of shelves. more on that later.  right now I'm just anxious to get my syllabus done for both classes and then turned in to the print shop etc etc... Also there are some pretty awesome online features I can use to upload everything so it's accessible to students. for example for the students who don't have books, I plan to put copies of the first few pages online so they can do the homework without excuse of no book...
we had a big rain Thursday night and last weekend so the yard is aweomse and green.  it was a jungle to mow last Wednesday after work I will say, but today I plan to clean up stuff and get things managed. sorry to bore you with all those details. but I love getting outdoors.I plan to get out to a movie downtown tonight, it's a modern version of a Shakespeare play, Much Ado About Nothing, I think, I remember reading about it how it was filmed in one weekend or something like that...
hope everyone is enjoying the weekend!

2 comments:

j.lee said...

Eames chairs and a rug on the wall, that's my kind of office!

Anonymous said...

What you need is a Warhol or Lichtenstein poster on the wall. Or perhaps a black and white Man Ray photograph.
Do you know the site Open Culture.com All sorts of free Lectures and classes from Oxford, Harvard etc inc. Languages. You did not say what kind of courses you are teaching this year.