Tuesday, August 13, 2013

tuesday plowing ahead...

lots of meetings yesterday and some office time all afternoon. new staff met our mentors for the year, which is nice to have someone to go to for all the questions and stuff.  I also went to a department meeting which was interesting meeting the other full time faculty, a varied lot. It was awkward seeing a fellow adjunct that I shared office hours with last year, a really great guy. He and I both applied for the job and he didn't get it although there were two openings, and I'd hoped we both would get them... so that was awkward.  Thing is, there is a very awesome girl who had worked full time in the writing lab for 3 years, and I mean really got that lab going, and I figure she had to be a shoe in for one of the positions. anyway, another awkward thing was the other professors saying "congratulations" in the meeting or in the hallways passing.  I guess I hadn't realized what an ordeal it was to get the job, I'll be working my best to live up to the position definitely.  whew pressure is on!
Actually I don't feel too pressured, I plan to keep doing what I have been doing just to try my best to keep prepared and teach the classes.  But I definitely feel way more dedicated and like throwing myself into this job 100%, really sink my teeth in to, you get the picture.  Today I'm bringing a rug to hang in my office and a few chairs and some thing for the walls. It will take me a while to get it just right, but I'll post a photo when I get everything just right. Profs keep coming in and asking if I need a table or chairs etc.. and I am explaining that as soon as I get everything worked out for my classes I'll get to the office set up...
I have a fellow new faculty next door to my office. a girl from Columbia who teaches Spanish. So perhaps that will help me keep up my practicing Spanish... I've also set up my office hours so that I'll have an hour free each morning to go practice piano in the practice labs.  Good for me to get regular practice and also perhaps a good stress relief and time to think and focus on things.
One encouraging thing happened at the gym last night. A student from my summer class showed up and walked over while I was on the treadmill to say hi and shook my hand. He was telling me that he wasn't able to take my comp II class because of scheduling and that he had a new job cleaning windows on the new Devon tower building downtown okc (it's new and twice the height of all the other buildings downtown!). He was the student that wrote the paper on the "art of electronic dance music" ha, and I had given him a CD of what I considered to be good electronic music, and had wondered what he thought of it. He mentioned the cd and said he did enjoy the mix of songs. I joked some more about his paper topic and then he was off to workout with his younger brother.
I did NOT workout yesterday. cardio only. getting back into swimming laps after vacation had my shoulders feeling tight, plus i worked shoulders and back the day before so I had a bit of a headache after work and really just wanted to relax!  my college has a nice olympic sized pool so I hope to swim laps eventually once I'm settled in.  I want to keep up with workouts and swimming consistently these next two weeks though because of the trip to austin, whether it makes any difference in how I LOOK, I know it makes a difference in how I FEEL I look.. if that makes sense.
rain and thunder and lightning this morning so I couldnt' go swim morning laps if I wanted to. pull is always shut down when there is chance of lightning. even indoor pools. interesting huh. hope eveyone is having a good winding down of summer....

1 comment:

drew said...

glad things are progressing nicely for you. you deserve it!