Friday, July 05, 2013

college town visit..........

howdy from the bunk bed in AR where I stayed overnight the last time I was here. ha
I'm at my friends' place.  S the girl I grew up with and went to college to the same college as and her husband J a roommate in college and they have 2 boys. their oldest kid went camping last night with cousins and an uncle so I got to crash here in his room. man I was up late but well worth it, what really sucked is at some point in the middle of the night last night, a car alarm was going off on the street outside their house and at the time I was dreaming away and in my dream I was asleep at my parents home in my old room, and it was as if the neighborhood had been abandoned and someone was trying to wake me up because of a fire. ha I guess the sirens made me thing there was a fire.
last night I had such a great time catching up with an old friend K. She is this gorgeous tall curly haired social worker who lives in Portland so we rarely get to visit. My roommate Kr and I hung out with K and her friend St all the time in college, mainly sneaking drives after lunch to smoke a cigarette, or down to the nearest town with bars to go out to clubs etc... anyway she supervises a methadone clinic now and what an awesome service!
We had a little discussion last night about my buddy in Austin and how I should treat his recovery and how mad I was last time he relapsed and put himself in a dangerous situation etc etc.. After talking with her I decided to be more patient with him and continue support etc.. ANYWAY,  most of the night all of us, btw K came over with my exgf who she's staying with here.  we all talked over dinner and for hours about anyone and everyone we knew in college since we all hung in the same crowd, J was part of a band and we all followed where they played and all their other band friends. including Kr actually.   They drank sangria's most of the night. i didn't.
One interesting thing that came up was while talking about this missionary kid from Africa, and I said to everyone, you know that guy came up to me once during college and said his roommate had seen me at the gay bar in the other town.... (his roommate was some guy that was only there for like one semester and I didn't even know. ha)  anyway, i was telling them how he always kept the secret but how stunned and shocked I was thinking about the one or two times I'd gone there and how secret I thought it was I'd done it.
well then my ex gf said something I never knew, that this girl Susan had come up to her and said the same thing, that she'd seen me at the gay club in the town next over... ha  anyway, I supposed that must have been the first time the ex had an inkling about me after all.(my ex said it pissed her off and all she could think of was what was  susan doing there unless she as also gay, ha)  Susan was/is a lesbian and we ,mentioned about how closeted she was (yeah right, wearing that sports jacket and turtle neck around campus all the time)... and I said how dare she turn in another closet gay!!! ha
anyway, that was years ago, but still pretty funny.  I actually stopped first thing into town at Kr's place. we roomed together one year, and he was in J's band and he is a creative genius guy. I never see him when coming to AR because he's always busy with his freelance design work and also his wife doesn't click with any of the other girls in the groups. just how wives and girls are.  anyway so it'd been a few years since I'd seen him even though he's literally a few blocks over every time I come to town.. he answered the door all smiles and put out a hand, and I said no way a hug! ha ha So that was awesome.and we talked for an hour or so and caught up. ( He's actually had art at a few galleries in California and Seth Rogan and Kristen Wig own some of his work. how bout that!)  I was also great friends with his wife in college but she was at work yesterday, which gave us time to talk about everyone/thing else.
today I'll see my best bud who I worked with during college and hung out all the time with, Je and his wife and 3 kids. tonight I'm having dinner with last night's group at a restaurant in town. tomorrow I plan to see the family of missionaries from Africa that I stayed with in Senegal back in 08.  they are on furlough here for a month.
hope everyone is having a great July 4th weekend. The best thing about coming up this weekend is getting to share the news about my new job this fall at the college. woo ho! :)

1 comment:

Mike said...

Sounds like a blast!!!