Monday, May 20, 2013

stormy weather....

thought I'd post right quick about the storms here in OKC. There was definitely a sense of gloom in the air this afternoon during last hour, announcements about all after school activities cancelled and for all teachers to close all windows in the building before leaving... the sky was dark out and I swear I could sort of sense the change in air pressure, figuratively had my hair in ends waiting for last bell.  as soon as the kids left the principal showed up walking the halls telling all the teachers to leave now...  I stayed a few mintues extra trying to get attendance done on the computer, then left and drove up north and west on the highway to my side of town, the whole time live play by play by tv weathermen on the radio as the storm approached south of okc... when I arrived home skies were clear but streets were completely flooded.
had myself glued to the tv since then watching all the follow up and news of damage and victims. So sad. got a phone call from a blog reader in DC who is from Norman and his family was safe.Thanks guys for the comments and emails.  It's pretty sad waiting here to hear news if any of the 30 kids still in the school will be found alive or not. it's not looking good.  I've been holding it together up until I saw the interview with the little girl who was in the school and talking about holding onto the wall so she "wouldn't fly away into the tornado".  
We are usually pretty used to tornado weather here in Oklahoma, but this event they are saying might be the worst one yet! :(

8 comments:

Mike said...

The big Shawnee tornado yesterday was a mile from my family.

drew said...

Dan,
Hope everyone gets through this. With the colder weather it seems the activity is later this year. I was hoping it would bypass you all this year. I am very scared of tornado's..

rugbysex said...

pax tibi. my heart is full w/ all the death and destruction. deo gratias you and all your loved ones are safe. :)

Kelly/RICGD said...

Glad you are okay, but so sad for OK... heavy hearts all across the country... and here in RVA...

Anonymous said...

Thinking about everyone in OKC tonight.

james said...

I worried about you all night buddy... Glad your safe... My heart goes out to everyone and those poor kids!!!

Anonymous said...

As an educator do you think all OK schools should have basements or storm shelters for kids?

Mark Gaulding said...

Dan, it is astonishing the ferociousness of this tornado. Glad to hear that you and your family are okay. Is Oklahoma City metro shut down at this point or functioning, since Moore is in the south? Stay safe dude