Sunday, May 19, 2013

a weekend is not long enough....

made it back home today at the airport by 2:15pm.. which was pretty cool considering my flight was supposed to leave Houston at 2:17...I got on standby for an earlier flight and made it.  I didn't plan my return so well, and am never doing that again, meaning a flight that leaves at 8am.. then was going to have a couple of hours layover in Houston etc... was so happy to get home after going to the grocery store for milk and broccoli and bananas. ha
was home by 3 to find clouds and thunderstorms moving in and tornado sirens going off the whole time I was outside walking around the yard and checking out my landscaping and plants from while I was gone.
We did have tornados the afternoon that hit houses and such NE of OKC. now I"m about to crash in my own bed and plan to hopefully sleep heavy.  I got an outfit all ready to go for tomorrow morning. only two more weeks of school left.
I don't know if I mentioned it before but I've had a beard all spring and have been letting my hair grow long.
it got so long on top that I took trimmers and cut off the part above my ears on both side, so it was looking sort of strange by the time I got my haircut last week before the trip. I shaved the beard and got my hair buzz cut short on top. so new me tomorrow. :)
well I need to give a run down on what I did yesterday. it wasn't the most well planned day, but I a super duper fun morning. woke up at my hotel in west village near meatpacking district due north, The Jane Hotel NYC... which I highly recommend for a lower priced hotel, for those who don't mind walking down the hall to a shared bathroom.  It's recently remodeled and reopened in the last 5 years or so.  each room is small with a twin bed and a flat screen tv on the wall and ipod doc, and free wireless... the mattress and pillows and sheets all so nice, seriously.  I think if  my Austin buddy and I ever go back we're going to get a room with 2 bunkbeds...
So anyway, I woke up and lounged in bed catching up on internet and emails, some news on tv, and just laying there in the firm but cozy bed and think white cotton 300 thread sheets. and the pillows!
I had a corner room with a window view of the water and looking across to NJ I think...eventually got everything packed up.I had to check out and go to another hotel. I accidentally only reserved one night and they got sold out. I was able to leave my stuff in a luggage room all day though until I came back..they were very friendly and helpful.
I walked north towards the high line, found a postoffice to get stamps to put on the 18 postcards I bought to send to my newcomer students, then walked around the meatpacking district aimlessly looking to get a few more postcards and also find someplace to get some breakfast snacks.  went up to the high line and loved every single thing about it. the design, the views, the gardens...so fun. I was literally walking and smiling to myself . such a great cool cloudy morning. was perfect. I had an outfit on that I'd planned for the day,jeans and a long sleeve navy tshirt under my Takahashi Muraki tshirt that I never wear in OKC but felt like it was just the thing for running around okc. so I was glad for the cool weather. I took tons of photos of the high line itself and the views from there.  had some gelatto and bought some original photo postcards from a guy's table there.
My friend A called and said she was coming downtown, we planned to meet in soho, but no rush we both had separate shopping to do.. I started walking that direction through the village and found a little street festival going on with booths on all these closed down streets. I bought a bronze fish dish sort of thing at one of them.  went by the Monocle store, my favorite magazine, and probably talked too much to the guy working there about how much I love my Boston bag and have been all over the world with it and it still looks new, and my matching computer bag etc etc etc..
walked in and out of stores as I got to soho, also some booths on the streets there.. before I could meet A somewhere, she had to go back uptown for lunch... so I made my toward the Dean and Delucca where I like to eat a quick lunch, their ham and cheese croissant!!!!! SO SO SO GOOD
continued shopping up and down the streets that afternoon and met A again at the Uniqlo on Broadway...
we shopped a bit more and then she left back uptown, I shopped few more place but as it approached 5, I decided to walk back to the Jane and get my stuff over to the other hotel.
I was SO tired from walking all day, i got a taxi cab over to the hotel in Chinatown, well actually on Bowery and Canal. I'll talk about that place later..
I changed up and went uptwon to 96th street west side to meet A as she was getting out fo the 2nd night of the school performance.. we split up again, I went back down to time square and she went to dinner with her hosts and family.  I ended the night at a former student's birthday party in the east village at Augoyoyo
will try and post some more and get pics of the shopping haul up here. cheers

5 comments:

d said...

love the bronze fish bowl/plate; it's funny looking but yet cool. glad you had a good trip, but nothing beats your own bed. Cheers, D

rugbysex said...

i'm tired just READING about all the walking you did. :) thanks for sharing your adventures. so glad you had a good time!
cheers!

Anonymous said...

Hope you're ok and all you know and love is ok...

Gregg in NYC.

thatguy said...

Hey, hope you're safe. Sending prayers your way.

Mike said...

Sounds like you had a blast! Yay for weekend trips! Thinking back to our NYC meet.

Speaking of which, I will be in NYC Dec. 26-Jan 3.