Sunday, March 03, 2013

spring around the corner, woo hoo!

I had considered the TCKTS option for quick tickets to things in NYC, but I've still decided to wait until later this spring.  Actually it might work out for a weekend in May which would be cool as there is more time for gym between now and then. ha My friend A invited me to go along with here in May so we are going to see what plans can be made. SHWEET!  (This is my lesbian friend who i grew up with taking to church youth group stuff in 9th and 10th grade...we both went our separate ways and colleges and only recently began to "hang" again a few years ago.  She is also the one who I move furniture with now and then for some extra cash at the place she works selling trailer homes, so we move the staging furniture in and out of homes and storage whenever they sell. anyway.......)
phoenixkidd,  I don't particular have any hots for John Grant, just an interesting talent that I appreciate and I find his background fascinating and his love for languages etc. now if I ever met him in person, who knows. :P
j.lee, I agree the oscars should have a live orchestra, not piped in.  Has anyone else re-watched over and over the Shirley Bassey performance? I have. ha  and I was wondering how were they so in sync? That will be a highlight of Oscar moments for a while I'm thinking...
thatguy, I don't have any plans to visit Austin for a while. My friend going through his recovery and all down there, I figured I'd wait til I'm actually invited instead of just showing up whenever i have time off. plus he's busy with all his own life and stuff and stuff etc etc. i won't go into on this blog. but anyway, I think the ideal will be for my bud and I to travel to a new place together where we can both be on vacation time and just relax and discover things new with each other instead of me being a guest whereever/whatever he's doing in Austin. if that makes sense. ha I do LOVE AUSTIN and most likely will get back down there at some point this summer perhaps...?
Kentokc, good to hear from you again. I mention stuff going on in the city and wonder if there are actually any local people who find this blog. ha thanks for the comment.
thanks also to Tony E and Mark G for the comments on past posts. good to hear feedback on the random stuff I'm always posting on here. ha... I'll have some spring/summer shopping ideas coming up no doubt. Once I get some cash saved back up to blow on such things. ha Mr. M, good to hear other teachers are out there dealing with same. And Rambler thanks for the encouragement. and pookie thanks for the comments.  I'm going back only a few weeks here on some of the comments I've gotten and thought I'd say hey. Thanks to any readers who give feedback of course! :)
This weekend has been pretty awesome. the weather so great, and you'll find me more and more on the up and up now that it's march and spring coming and eventually summer... ha ha  I have only one week of school left this week before my 2 week spring break. then another week and heck, March is practically over which only leaves April and May... When I mentally think of that 2 month time before getting out for the summer, it always reminds me of how in AFgahniistan I had 2 months left and how I would break it up into how many weekends and how closer and closer it came and how it flew by pretty fast actually. ha ha. My goal this spring is to really get my name out there to other schools and colleges just for the practice of job hunting.  I want to look while secure in a job and then if the right door opens, bingo! if not, ahh well.
last I posted about my busy Friday, accomplished all. although I had to bring home my work computer to make lesson plans before Monday morning, all in due time.  I had a big move job with A from 430 to 630 and then barely made it for my pizza date back in town.  A and I were talking about how busy she's been with her G'mas failing health and she and her wife still trying to have a baby.  I was quieter than usual since the move was so much work. But we got through, the great team we are! Just imagine  backing up to a trailer without any porch just an open door, and moving huge couches and loveseats and dressers and table etc etc in and out, and then back into the front door of another trailer home. good exercise!  I never have many new things to say to A, but this time since I know her so well and we both share a desire of living right in our faith, I spoke to her about my recent quiet times about the holy spirit and how I'd been praying lately more about being in touch with the holy spirit within me as a Christian and keeping that with me throughout the day. for me it's about having a heart for the kids and not getting cranky and selfish with them or co workers or complain about anything to my coworkers or others etc etc.. anyway, we had a very good chat! and thus the plans for a NYC trip in a few months. :)
I took my truck in yesterday morning to the local garage FINALLY to have the thermostat replaced. it went out about a month ago, which means I've been driving to school in the mornings with minimal heat coming down below. This was the first free Saturday I had to leave there, bike home, and then go back at 12 to pick it up.  drove next to the Harbour Freight hardware store. Are the nationwide? they have great prices on cheaper Chinese made stuff basically but still good in a pinch for tools. I was there for the $10 advertised solar powered sonic mole deterrent items. also a soaker hose which wasn't on the list but heck why not, also $10. ha drove over to my folks place and made  sandwich in my mom's kitchen. yum fridge always stocked, and sat around talking to my sis and her kids and then another sis who came over too.  My sis is married to a principal so I talked about some school stuff, but tried to restrain myself to not talk too much.(  As I've grown up, I've tried to become a better listener and not just a talk talk talker. I have to really make myself listen, which by that I mean ask questions repeating something you've just been told. it really shows you are paying attention and my mind will completely wonder and I will pretty much just listen to take a break from what I want to say next. annoying! Obviously I have a lot of issues with need for attention or to be heard or accepted or adequacy or self control, but let's not bring any of that up ! blah!) Enjoy your Sunny Sunday if you're having one.  my goal today is to finish grading the 15 essays in front of me, get to the gym for a while, come back home and just relax!

4 comments:

Pookie said...

Love your update as always. Good luck with the plans for the NYC trip. Haven't been in a few years myself and must go back. But plans for England & Ireland this year so there goes that money :-)

rugbysex said...

i'm w/ Pookie....love these posts!!

traveling w/ someone is usually more enjoyable than traveling alone...but better than not going at all. pick a destination, save up and DO IT! :)
cheers!

John Hill said...

Hi Dan,
My wife and I enjoy hearing about your daily life teaching, visits to the gym, looking after your home etc.
We wish you could find a soulmate but to do that you need to accept who you are. We have several gay friends met through our daughter and son in law who are both in the theatre.
This did not come easily to us at first but we now love them as true and caring friends. We know that your family and friends, who really love you, will feel the same way.




same way about you.

John Hill said...

Hi Dan
My wife and I enjoy your blog about your life - teaching, gym visits, house stuff etc.
We look forward to somebody sharing your life but you need to accept who and what you are.
We have several gay friends met via our daughter and son in law who both work in the theatre. While we struggled with this for a time we have now come to see them as true and caring friends through times of family difficulties. They could not have been more supportive and loving.
That support and love is there for you - your family and friends - if you are honest with them.
Be strong and be who you are.