Friday, December 14, 2012

week over! ugh

man, I'm so glad to get Christmas break started, but it's bitter sweet a little bit, I can't help thinking about going back to the job in January... alas. but I can enjoy all the time off for now! ha.. I was thinking driving home today that sometimes it sure does seem a lot easier to fit an eggroll into a hamburger box than it is trying to fit a taco! If you don't get that, just think of my ESL job. The only other analogy I had seemed too racist about making silk purses out of pig's ears etc... it's not a race issue, it's a poverty level issue, totally socioeconomic/language/I dunno...
 NYC! now we're talking! I'm just sitting here listening to Christmas music and marking little dots and arrows on a map for my trip. so far there are places like museums, e.g. The Morgan Library and Museum, and TOpman and Stadium(Norse Projects stockist) in soho, and K-way, also papabubble candy store and Bookmarc statinary store (both recomended by a ready! and both mentioned in the same issue of a recent NYTimeOut, ha I'm suspect he works there.) Of course the Monocle store, some yarn and ribbon stores, Barney's and Saks and Dean and Deluca and some vintage clothing stores etc etc. there's a home store somewhere near the university I need to try and find... I need to check back to notes from last year's trip! also of course Amorino, my favorite gelato place at 60 university pl and 10th. yum!! of course Rockefeller center and all that.
My bud's new place is lower manhattan near John and Cliff st. south of Fulton. should be interesting being in town this time during my stay and not over in Brooklyn. ANYONE suggest going over to check out shopping and site seeing in Williamsburg? I was considering it, I know they have tons of new places over there. that reminds me, I need to add Steve Keene gallery on my list of hits. ha tonight I'm just getting packed and ready and about to have dinner with good buddy S and catch up since he's always in AR seeing the bf or they are here or I'm out of town etc etc. so we got to catch up!!! ha part of the packing was preparing for rain! ha, hopefully with the weather in the 40's I can just layer everything, but I'll prolly wear a coat just to have one at night. Noel noel noel everyone!

3 comments:

Pookie said...

Have a good trip. When you're at Rockefeller Center look for Teuscher Chocolates. Even if you don't buy (expensive, but not if you get only a few), the store is worth the visit just for the looks and the smell of Swiss chocolate.

thatguy said...

Ha, you know I've never been off Manhattan! Incredibly jealous though. Enjoy and have safe travels!

Anonymous said...

Don't forget Julius on west 10th and 4th for oldest bar (1800) in village plus best grill hamburgers. Also hidden away on Bedford st behind fence is Chumley fave bar with college and post crowd. And the Pink Tea Cup for southern fried cooking.Lots of interesting stores on Bleecker btwn 7th & 8th (Hudson) Have you been to Russian Sauna on east 10th and 1st ave. great borscht in cafe.