Saturday, December 01, 2012

TX -where everything's bigger?

hello from Austin TExas! you might have a dan sighting if you're in Austin today and for example right now at Flipnotics Coffee on Barton Springs Rd, next Whole Foods, later this morning the dog park, this afternoon movie Life of Pi, and then tonight the miniature golf place near Lamar. That's right I'm in Austin Texas; I drove down last night right after school, got out at 230 and was in my truck by 240 and on my way to I35 south. :).. I hit tons of traffic near denton and missed the 35W exit. ugh, so ended up going through Dallas instead, but still made pretty good time 6.5 hours instead of 6. blah. last week was great. my Tuesday night class went well, final peer review and then they all turn papers in next week for me to grade and give back the next. so only 2 more weeks left of classes, high school and college. the 15th I'll be on a plane to NYC!:) this one student JH, tall built guy half mid-eastern/native american, well he's been struggling all semester. he wrote a paper about being in prison last year for a bar brawl fight he was in or something like that. and how he became a Christian and was trying to get his life back on track and going to college etc etc. so I have had only optimistic thoughts for the guy, however last week he tells me how he was out late the weekend before and his gf found him and his buddy drunk at a strip club and broke up with him, and when he left while she was taking her things from their apartment, she took all his things too. his computer laptop and tools, so he might get fired from his welding job without tools, and he didn't have his paper to review etc etc etc.. blah so many stories when you teach community college. people with really really busy lives other than school, not really like the tv show where they are all each others friends all the time and hang out there all the time like a real college. nope.... the rest of the week with my kids at school was fine fine, I was giving them little motivational speeches here and there in spanish along the lines of - you are not children and I'm not here to babysit so time to get serious about learning English! ha and of course I through in some stuff about how kids their age are in Mexico and NOT in school and working like adults with adults for the rest of their lives etc etc. I try to remind the kids they have better potential for future here but it only comes with English/education... anyway I learned a word for "argue" - "alegar" which is helpful for calling parents. ;) Austin is amazing this morning, a bit cloudy and in the 50's , no real breeze this morning. ahhhh! I'm even in shorts today. yay texas. I had second thoughts about coming down here actually because it's going to be nice in OKC this weekend and I was thinking of staying home and getting Christmas prep done and house ready and tree up, and also just get outdoors all weekend in the yard! but nah, buddy invited me down so I answered the call. ha anyone here in Austin want to say what you're up to? anyone else reading, what's up for you this December 1st? getting a tree up today? getting out for some shopping now that it's not black Friday ridiculousness? I am really struggling with getting up early and driving back to OKC so I can enjoy my afternoon at home OR shop sunday morning at IKEA and the OUTLET mall here in AUSTIN first. :)

4 comments:

xavi said...

Here in argentina, nice summer weather, went for a 6 km run this morning. Enjoying the weekend as it is the most important thing on earth. cheers

rugbysex said...

have a blast professor and travel safe. prayers for anyone struggling with HIV/AIDS on this World Aids Day!
pax tibi!

Mike said...

I am in NYC the 18th through the 21st.

thatguy said...

Dang, cant believe I missed this! My computer broke down and I'm finally getting caught up on your blog. Hope you enjoyed your time in Austin, and I'm completely jealous of your NYC trip. Hope all is well for you right now!