Saturday, October 20, 2012

s, a, t-u-r, d-a-y night!

I suppose one of the biggest perks of being a wallflower or a misfit toy, is the support and friendship of everyone around you stuck on the wall or the same island. but family still definitely counts for something. I saw the movie "Perks of Being a Wallflower" tonight with buddy S. we met up at his place at 6, and of course I brought him a sample of the tile and tile border I am planning to use in my bathroom, ha, and he approved. we ate at the cafe seven up by quail springs mall where the movie was showing. dinner was great,he had an awesome seasonal pasta dish and I had a turkey club sandwich. the movie was quite phenomenal. I loved it! The pacing of the story and nuances with which things are revealed are in a perfect rhythm. THere is SO much said by what is not said. What appears to be a movie about a kid trying to make friends in highschool during his freshman year is SO much more, his past, his friends' past, his friends now, his family's past and present situations. quite nostalgic for the great music in the film as well. life before cell phone, kids running around the city alone at night, finding parties, dealing with drama of romance and acceptance etc etc.. some serious moments and themes in the film, and I turned to S at one point and said "this better be a feel good film" and I suppose finally at the end it was because I was smiling and excited and S and i went on and on about the film on the way home. It made remember by gf from high school who I hung out with constantly after coming back from my first year at college and we'd go out every single weekend at "alternative" clubs in OKC. and hang out after the clubs closed to find out where an after party might be. going into strangers' houses and meeting new people from the clubs etc etc... I messaged my ex when I got home tonight to tell her to see the film. we used to hunt for music that we heard at the clubs and all the alternative bands at the time. oh man! I guess now I'll have to find the book and read the actual book, books are always better than the movies so the saying goes. I finished stripping up the subfloor today in the bathroom except the little bit in the corner under the toilet. I'm going to finish cutting up the wainscoating tomorrow and then maybe get the floor laid down while I'm waiting for Monday when the plumber shoudl be comning hopefully to install a new sink drain where the old one fell off. also I plan to have him raise the shower nozzles, that way I can put in my 5 feet tall backerboard with out haveing to worry about tiling aroun a shower nozzle. If anyone wants to comment about whether I should put the floor down so that the wainscotting comes down and rest on the subfloor, or put wainscoating in first and then have the plywood subfloow come up to that? I'm still figuring it out. ;)

5 comments:

EX frat man said...

put the flooring down first, that way is you ever want to replace/remove the wainscotting, you won't have a cap in the flooring to deal with.

rugbysex said...

good advice from ex-frat man. listen to him.
cheers!

EX frat man said...

i meant "gap" NOT "cap." geez. i need a proofreader for my blog commenting now!

Mike said...

I just downloaded Perks of a Wallflower - it is on my to reads this winter on my way to NYC. Hope we can meet up for a few minutes there... LOL. May be planning OKC real soon. Haven't found a spectacular deal on airfare just yet - what are the chances of that?

d said...

I would put the floor down first and then have the baseboards and wainscotting on top of the tiles. I would also tile the shower/tub area all the way to the top of the ceiling. It will look amazing. I can send pix if you would like to see how tiles to the ceiling looks like. D