Friday, July 20, 2012

troubled world

a friend posted this on facebook this morning, I thought I'd share it due to the circumstances of the news in CO....
"
  • I've been mugged and I've been shot, and, for those of you who know me well, yes, I still have a bullet in my body. I don't post this for sympathy. I should have died that night but by the grace of God and an unknown stranger, along with the actions of the Kansas City Fire Department, I survived.

    The world has always been filled with the sick and deranged, people with absolutely no regard to huma...n life. Last night in Colorado, one of those people reared his ugly head. I've lived the past 19 years overly aware of my surroundings, and there's not a moment that I'm outside my house, whether I'm in my car, my front yard, or in a public setting, that I don't think someone could fire at me.

    But, to cower and seclude is to give in, and I refuse to do that. No doubt many of my facebook friends who have served have seen worse than what I experienced, but I think they would agree that once you succumb to fear, the enemy has won.

    When I finally got to speak to my brother after being released from the hospital, the first thing he told me was that he had his shotguns ready and that once I got back home, we were turning right back around to find those who were responsible. No doubt, I would have had the same response had he been the victim. But, strangely enough, I didn't want revenge. I still don't. I wanted them punished, by law, for their crimes, but more than anything, I wanted to talk to them, pray with them, and hopefully, provide them, however much the odds were stacked against it happening, with the tools necessary to understand the impact of their deeds and change their lives for the better.

    For some strange reason, I feel deeply empathetic to the victims and their friends and families from the tragedy at the movie theater last night, and my thoughts and prayers are with them all. My words carry no grand meaning, and I understand my place in this world, but I do know this: whether it's cool or not, whether you feel uncomfortable about it or not, and regardless of the feedback you receive, don't ever hesitate to tell people that you care for them and that you love them. Every human life is a special gift.
     "

1 comment:

Drew said...

Well said. Thanks for posting. And I am guessing it your birthday so Happy Birthday!