Sunday, July 22, 2012

hot summer Sunday....

what a lazy hot summer Sunday ! whew... hope everyone's enjoying and relaxing, better yet I hope you're at a lake or on a boat somewhere... ahhh.  I had church this morning and then went over to my folks' place for a proper birthday lunch and cake celebration. ha  mom made some roast beef with rosemary carrots that I love so much,. yum. mashed potatoes, green beans, homemade rolls. all GOOD!  we also had a homemade chocolate cake and some icecream.  we were all watching Els win at golf and say nice things about Adam Scott.  my sister also came by for some cake. then they gave me my birthday present and you'll never guess.  My dad and sister carried in a big ole heavy box with a bow on it into the den while singing happy birthday... inside, a toilet! ha   yep, they bought me a new toilet to replace the one in my house. I promise I keep my house clean and everything, but I could probably do the bathroom more often.  thing is, the year I was teaching overseas it became terribly stained and although I've cleaned and cleaned it, it still remains stained in the bowl and I guess they though a NEW NEW one would be the best option. also they are motivating me to redo the bathroom in general. ha I've been needing to for years, the shower wall wrap around needs replaced and then for a few years now the faucets have needed fixed, they leaked for a while from behind the wall, long story. ugh! so that will be a good fall project, right???? :) we'll see about that.
spoke to the pastor's son after service. great younger married guy, great looking, great shape (he's a coach) we used to teach together at the same school before I left overseas, so we chat it up all the time, today it was about when we went back to school and about his landscaping projects in the backyard... he was showing me photos of where he installed  a water feature. we both did NOT return to the water park this summer so we like to say how much we LOVED not being there this summer.  funny thing is I would have LOVEd to complain to him about the music during communion this morning since he's on soundboard, but he's such a nice guy I didn't even bring it up. the thing is I grew up singing hymns and a few praise songs in church, and we dressed up on Sundays etc... and now our church is pretty casual and it's mainly stupid pop Christian radio songs. blah! a damn rock band on stage more or less. I hate it. in fact, if I've never mentioned it, I'll tell ya I always arrive 15-20 minutes late every single Sunday, move down the aisle and sit next to my mom and dad, usually with one of my sisters' family sitting in the row in front or behind us. ha  It's on purpose 'cause of the music. the guy up there leading seems to me to try too hard to create a moment, emotion. and he rarely smiles, usually just up there like he's so sad and emotional. dude, come on! okay, no more griping, sorry. just that today we had communion, and whereas a nice instrumental whatever Christian song would be nice, or something like when the organ (no longer used) would play in the background. or even when the church first started, one of the ushers would just start singing a hymn and we could join or not... great times. but now a recording of some hop dee do contemporary radio song, i ask you, how is that creating a solemn worshipful moment during communion????   sigh.
I'm putting chairs up in the attic today and finding places to put stacks of stuff I've been working on forever, but I don't know the place is for this stack of binders form college classes and professional development sessions? or this stack of all these rugs or stacks of dvds and books I brought home from Kabbuull,  these crates full of magazines and school yearbooks, Ikea kid gifts waiting for Christmas, etc... but I'll get it straightened all up in no time. My dad coming over soon to help install the toilet will motivate me absolutely. ha
watched a bit of Dr Who episodes on netflix this weekend, thoroughly enjoyed it. soon will be getting out in the over 100 degree heat for a quick drive to the store, stocking up on broccoli and eggs and bananas for the week. heard from my friend from dallas with the lake house, hoping to get back there SOON! ciao.

3 comments:

rugbysex said...

give me a pipe organ playing Bach...ANY DAY! it's ABOUT TIME you heard from the lake house dude. oorah!
cheers!

drew said...

I am surprised you don't get a little crap from your Dad for being late. In the Catholic church if you come in later than the first reading you can't "say" you attended Mass that day. My Dad (even later in life) would blister me!! Enjoy the rest of your summer!!

d said...

was at this conference and the motivational speaker said to put a sticker of a spider or fly in the middle of the toilet bowl, it'll help keep the bathroom cleaner as one would strive to aim at it....just sharing the wisdom....;-) enjoy the rest of summer.