Saturday, January 14, 2012

jan weekend

only a few more left, what a great start to the new year. I've been going back to the gym after work this week and going through some of my former workouts just to get back into the habit. also wake up the muscles a bit without cramps and soreness. no reason to kill 'em. It sucks though working out with way less than you were at before. I guess I quit lifting heavily last spring break. I remember being up to 172 (I'm 6'1) and had some great back and shoulder and leg gains going, everything fitting great, I was up at the gym everyday, and I suppose at some point I just got bored of it all. boring just working out every day getting in shape and for what? ha actually another part of it was when my shoulder started messing up when I did pull ups. I started just doing cardio from then on. swimming in the morning during summer and lots of cardio etc..
now I'm down to 163 and probably have some weight on my gut in place of all the muscle weight before. btw keep in mind I have not a muscular build. I've been pretty skinny my whole life. I think I was 6'1 and 127 lbs graduating high school and in college it was all I could do to get to 140 lbs from working out. I remember each number passed, 150, and then 160, I remember thinking wow I'm over 160. just so you know that it's only from working out I could get into shape and gain weight. I have a pretty average body and try to attain a hopefully the athletic/swimmers build more than anything. Thing is for a TRUE athletic build you have to do athletic things, not just a gym body. you have to run, swim, train etc.. all that activity involved, get out and play basketball, really use the muscles not just doing reps with weights.
so that's what I always tell myself while I'm doing the reps at the gym, anyway. ha
I guess you could say I'm not going for huge size just staying in good shape.
ok enough about new year goals. oh one more thing, I like seeing other regulars at the gym that I used to see every day, I keep having the conversation with someone about "yeah I'm trying to get back to it regularly.." etc
I have a phone call interview today at 3pm for a teaching job overseas but I'm not even really considering it. I am following through for the practice of interviewing and to learn about the opportunity, but I've pretty much decided I dont' really want to move away for 2 years and leave my house and job here and everything. I am trying to search myself about why one side of me wants to move away, travel, experience new things, and the other side is completely happy working at my day job and the college class night job, love my house and life here etc....couldnt' be better. I think I feel disattached and restless at times being single and just watching years go by either way. whether I"m here or overseas. I was thinking that it's not really worth the hassle of dealing with my house if I went overseas again, and I don't want to sell my house either. ( I'm just thinking about all this by blogging, bare with me).
the main goal I had for this month was to get myself down to OU and apply for Grad School. If I'm ever to teach higher ed as a career I seriously need to consider getting a doctorate, so if I am staying in okc and living and working on and on I should be working towards that goal by returning to grad school.
we are out of school Monday for the holiday so a 4 day week next week. yee haw! hope everyone is ready for a great 3 day weekend.
I plan to get a hold of my Austin buddy this weekend and chit chat about his breakup and what's new. I plan to clean up my place and put all the Christmas stuff up in the attic and while I'm up there organize everything in its place. shop hydrangeas and japanese maples online and see if anything interests me on variegatedfoliage.com, work out of course, catch up on the stack of magazines near the mail drop, Outside, Traveler, Men's Journal, Smithsonian, New Yorker,... got a few to catch up on, probably bringing a few with me to have a pizza lunch today here in town. :)

2 comments:

rugbysex said...

sounds like u have it all together my man. just one thing missing...the most important thing...someone to share it all with.

you must believe in spring...and love.

cheers professor!

Anonymous said...

One thing about foreign work is that it is definately a short term gain, no long term benefits and the hassle of starting over every few years.

The doctorate might be a good idea, but you will have to go where the job opening exists to be a professor, and pedigree matters. For example, if you go to OU and complete the program in a timely manner, that is good. If you find that there are no tenure track positions in your current location, and instead you teach at a community college with a Phd waiting for a position at a larger univ, then you will likely be locked into the community college career. So, be willing to relocate, and push yourself to publish for the sake of publishing.